Friday, February 3, 2012

Teacher Voice... check!

Okay, so one one of my students is having a hard week. Student has been extremely disrespectful, rude, and has run away from me twice already, and it's only Tuesday. Today I had to pull out the don't-mess-with-me teacher voice TWICE! Next time student feels like being disrespectful to me, I'll just say, " Fine. If you are going to be disrespectful, than I'm not going to help you. You have lost that privilege by being extremely rude. Make no mistake though, I will still make sure you get all your work done." I'm hoping that after a few days of this he will realize the value of having someone to help you out. The good news about today is that I finally rounded a corner in my teacher-development. I have finally accepted the fact that as a teacher, I am allowed to show my annoyance/frustration/concern/anger. Just because I am their teacher doesn't mean I need to give them a bijillion chances, and be nice and sweet to them. No, this is my classroom, you will be respectful and make academic progress. There will be positive and negative consequences to your behavior. I am in charge of enforcing those consequences, it is you (the student) that determines the consequences that I must enforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment